Sophomore Exchange Student advances to National Art Contest

Joyce+Lee%2C+center%2C+is+presented+with+a+certificate+recognizing+her+advance+to+the+national+competition+by+Eva+Ackerman+and+Dorene+Ray+of+the+VFW+Auxiliary.+
Joyce Lee, center, is presented with a certificate recognizing her advance to the national competition by Eva Ackerman and Dorene Ray of the VFW Auxiliary.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

D'Laynee Staples, Staff Writer

Joyce Lee, a sophomore at Century, has won local, district, regional and state competitions for her artwork, and now she’s heading to nationals and could possibly win a 10,000 dollar scholarship at the national level. The art competition is hosted by the American Legion and submissions needed to have a patriotic theme.

Lee emigrated to America about eight months ago from South Korea and described her experiences in a new culture. “I was very surprised, by the education here and how different it was from Korea. I’ve gotten to experience the culture and so far people have been very nice,” said Lee.

Joyce had to write an essay to go along with her painting and she wrote, “In my art work, there are some hidden meanings. First, I left the soldier’s name tag empty to signify the fact that all of the soldiers who fought and are fighting for the United States are important, rather than just one.”

“Second, Mount Rushmore, which is painted in black and white, represents a deep and beautiful past history of the United States. The Statue of Liberty’s torch shows the path to liberty paved with sacrifice. Next, the sunset symbolizes a new day that will always come tomorrow,” said Lee. “In addition, the red of the sunset represents the dedication, often through shedding of blood, that soldiers have given for the country and our freedoms. Visually, the different colors express various emotions of pain, sorrow, loss, honor, achievement, and a grand hope for peace.”

Byron Haws, Joyce’s art teacher, described Lee as “a wonderful young woman. She is so grateful to be here in America and have all these wonderful freedoms and opportunities.”  

The pride for this new diamondback is high from her successes in competition. “I’m really excited yet I was worried I’d lose,” said Lee, adding that “Mr. Haws has been very nice to me and since I don’t speak english very well he was always willing to help me when I had questions.”

Results from the national competition will arrive in June or July.