Voters continue School District 25 Levy for Education

Christen Johnson, Staff Writer

On Tuesday March 14th, School District 25 asked the voters to renew the supplemental levy for another two years. With a vote of 2260 for and 637 against the levy was passed. Because the bond to build Century High School is now retired, the amount of taxes being asked for will go down even though the bond passes. The levy is an important source of funding for the school district, but many students may not know what it means for us as students.

The supplemental levy “fills the gap”. It is an investment in local kids, supporting the education over 12,500 local children.

“It is local support for local children. It supports 14% of our operating cost. The levy has been an integral part of student success for over 60 years,” said School district 25. All supplemental levy funds stay here they do not go to Boise or Washington, DC. A supplemental levy asks citizens for additional property tax dollars to support local schools. The levy is used to make a difference between state and federal funding and local needs. Money from the levy protects basic programs and day to day operations of schools.

According to the school district, the supplemental levy is necessary for four main reasons: 1) close the gap between what we need and discretionaring stae fundig, 2) cost increases which cover inflationary fixed cost such as water, power, services, supplies, and insurance, 3) maintaining instructional and extracurricular programs and activities and ,4) recruit and retain highly qualified teachers and paraprofessional staff.

“Anytime we invest in the levy it’s great for the school, community, and students, You can’t go wrong in investing tools for our schools,” said Officer Daniels, Pocatello Police Department Officer.

The supplemental levy has provided high school students with 17 Career Technical Education pathways which include 150 courses and opportunity for corresponding college credits. High school students earned 7,470 dual enrollment college credits in 2015 and 2016.

“Not only did your percent proficient go up in every grade level and above state averages in every grade level and more than double the average state improvement and in average improvement per grade,”  said Nancy Thomas Price, State Department of Education, when speaking of SD25 students.