NHS Holds Students to a High Standard

Paige Morris, Staff Writer

The Diamondback community is well-known for our academic prowess, and Century holds many honors, AP and dual enrollment courses for the student’s benefit. This academic advancement means that many students can be a part of the National Honors Society, which recognizes students across the nation for their academic and service record.

Felice Godfrey, senior, said “NHS is a club that takes the students that are most dedicated to their academics and prived them with opportunities to serve their school and community. To me, it’s a way to be involved with helping others and it looks awesome on college applications.”

Marissa Gerber, senior and president of the NHS club said“It’s a big responsibility. NHS is the biggest organization at Century High School. However, the officers that work with me are phenomenal. They are super responsible and always willing to serve it makes my job easier. We coordinate service projects and plan group meetings that encourages members to continue pursuing their academic goals. We strive to positively give back to the community.”

Students become eligible for NHS in their sophomore year if they meet a GPA and honors course requirement. They are held to that standard for their high school career by the advisors: teachers Kristopher Boatman, Carly Flandro and Anna Ruth.

NHS requires that each member complete service hours every trimester. Many of the projects are posted on their board outside of Ruth’s room, B109.

“My personal favorite service projects have been serving at the Portneuf Teddy Bear Clinic and helping at various elementary school carnivals,” said Gerber.