Service Clubs had Successful Fall Projects and Prepare for Spring

Junior Civitan and Interact, Century's nationally-sponsored service clubs, held many service projects during the first trimester.

Ashleigh Koch, Business Manager

Junior Civitan and Interact are Century’s service clubs, helping with different events at Century and around the community in partnership with their larger sponsers.

Jr. Civitan is a junior version of the local Bannock Civitan branch. They partner with Bannock Civitan to help with Stone Soup at ISU and those who are going through rough times at Century. Some upcoming events that Junior Civitan are helping with are Easter baskets for less fortunate students and the teddy bear clinic at Portneuf Wellness Center on March 12.

“I want to do the teddy bear clinic,” said Arianna Lewis, a senior and the current president of Junior Civitan with co-president Taylor Cusack.

In April the current leadership will take the chosen president and co-president for next year to a convention in Las Vegas with other Jr. Civitan groups from the surrounding states and the national Civitan group.

Interact Club is a junior branch of the local Rotary International. They do events and activities with the Rotary Club, and are dedicated to making the community and school a better place. In the fall, Interact members volunteered at a local community garden. For Thanksgiving they collected canned food and donated their proceeds to Century’s food pantry.

Interact will be selling raffle tickets for a Dodge Charger and they are also getting ready to help with the Simplot Games coming up on February 16 and it ends on the 18. They meet every Tuesday at lunch in room B215 and everyone is welcome to join.

“Service is a great thing to participate in because it helps us become a better community,” said Maribel Mendez a Spanish teacher and an advisor of Interact club alongside English teacher Matt Looze.

“Anytime we get out into the community and help others, I am excited,” said Sierra Markley, senior and member of Interact.

The hours that National Honor Society members do will go towards their required community service hours, and participation in service clubs is appealing to colleges nationwide. 

Interact’s meetings are held Tuesdays in Room B215, and Junior Civitan holds meetings on Wednesdays in room C108 under the supervision of advisor and science teacher Earla Durfee.